Register as a sole trader

Register as a sole trader - gardener with his toolsSole traders must register with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) when they start trading. It is advisable to register as soon as you start trading but you should register by 5 October in your business' second tax year at the latest.

You should allow 10 working days (21 days if you're abroad) to complete the registration process. HMRC will send you an activation code which you will need to log in to your online account.

If you have never registered with HMRC before, you can register your new business with HMRC on the GOV.UK website.

If you have been registered as a sole trader in the past or have submitted a self-assessment tax return before, you can re-register with HMRC using form CWF1.

You will need your 10-digit Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR). You can find your UTR on previous tax returns, your online account or other documents from HMRC or by calling the Self Assessment helpline on 0300 200 3310.

Exclusive discount on Microsoft OfficeExclusive discount on Microsoft Office

Get a 10% discount on the latest Microsoft Office 365 Business Premium subscription including Email, Word, Excel, Skype for Business and more.

Save on Office 365

Once you have registered as self-employed, you will need to:

What does the * mean?

If a link has a * this means it is an affiliate link. To find out more, see our FAQs.