Check your National Insurance record

Check your national insurance recordThe payment of National Insurance contributions entitles people to certain state benefits such as the state pension, maternity allowance and bereavement benefits. NICs are payable if you are:

  • aged over 16;
  • an employee earning more than £162 a week for 2018/19 (£157 for 2017/18);
  • self-employed with profits over £6,205 for 2018/19 (£6,025 for 2017/18).

In order to get a full state pension, you must have made NICs for 30 years (or have sufficient NI credits).

You can request a National Insurance statement to check if you have gaps in your National Insurance record from the GOV.UK website.

You can't request statements for the current or previous tax year but you can state which other years you would like your statement to cover.

Your statement will tell you:

  • what National Insurance payments or credits you have for the tax years requested;
  • what class of contributions you made;
  • if there are any payment or credit gaps (years with payment gaps may not count towards your State Pension);
  • whether you can pay voluntary contributions to fill the gaps and how much it will cost.

You can also call the National Insurance helpline on 0300 200 3500 to request a National Insurance Contribution statement.

What does the * mean?

If a link has a * this means it is an affiliate link. To find out more, see our FAQs.